The Suspiro is a traditional Peruvian dessert from the coastal cities. The preparation is easy and very simple, yet the flavour is outstanding.
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 (12 fluid ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 beaten egg yolks
- 2 beaten egg white
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon (optional)
1. In the first place, whisk together the sweetened condensed milk, evaporated milk, vanilla, and egg yolks in a saucepan. Then place over medium-low heat and gently cook until the mixture thickens, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, about 30 minutes. Pour into a heatproof serving dish and set aside.
2. Remember to whip the egg whites with confectioners' sugar to stiff peaks. Spread meringue on top of milk mixture. Refrigerate until cold, for 3 hours. Finally. sprinkle with cinnamon before serving.